In an earlier post I shared general carpet care and maintenance information from a brochure produced by Capel Rugs, Inc. Today I am going to focus on the spot cleaning tips from this same brochure.
"Spot Cleaning for Rugs and Carpets by Capel Rugs
- Cleaning spills immediately can often prevent a stain from setting in.
- Blot spills with a clean, white, absorbent cloth or paper towel. Never rub a spill; rubbing forces the spill deeper into the fibers.
- Remove any solids using a spoon or a blunt knife. Always work from the edge of the stain inward and scrape in the direction of the pile whenever possible.
- Remove as much moisture from the spill as possible by blotting with a clean, white, absorbent cloth or paper towel.
- Try to remove any residual stain with clean, luckwarm water containing a small amount of carpet shampoo or mild dishwashing liquid and pure white vinegar.
- If water fails, a solvent can be used to effectively remove a spill. Always pretest the solvent on a small area of the rug by applying a few drops, then blotting with a clean, white, absorbent cloth or paper towel.
- Apply the solvent directly on the stain and work from the edges of the spot to the center with a spoon handle. Blot thoroughly with a white, absorbent cloth or paper towel until as much moisture as possibile is absorbed. Repeat the process until the spot no longer transfers to the cleaning cloth, never over-wetting the stain.
- Use clean water to remove any residual cleaner and absorb any remaining moisture with white paper towels. When dry, vacuum pile to restore texture.
- If you cannot completely remove the spill, send your rug to a reputable professional cleaner."